Trade Secrets & IP
Chambers USA has recognized Meland Russin & Budwick’s “expertise” in intellectual property. The firm handles a broad range of matters involving non-patent IP. It helps companies protect their proprietary information and trade secrets before and during litigation. The firm developed a unique trade-secrets audit, which involves identifying a company’s proprietary information, evaluating the way the company protects this information, and providing recommendations to better secure it. Often, this includes implementing or improving restrictive covenants such as noncompete agreements. The firm also helps companies improve employee hiring and exit procedures to mitigate unwanted disclosure or use of proprietary information. The goal is to prevent litigation, while putting the company in the best-possible position if litigation becomes inevitable.
Sometimes, litigation is necessary to protect proprietary company information, such as when a former employee leaves to work for a competitor or starts a competing business. The firm represents companies and individuals in this type of litigation, including aggressively pursuing noncompete violations and claims for misappropriation of trade secrets. For example, the firm recently obtained a jury verdict in a client’s favor against its former sales director, who secretly set up a competing company using the company’s proprietary information.
Visit the Protecting Trade Secrets blog www.protectingtradesecrets.com for updates and insights from Meland Russin & Budwick’s Eric W. Ostroff regarding trade-secrets law.
Meland Russin & Budwick also represents trademark and copyright owners in litigation to enforce their IP rights. The firm similarly defends companies and individuals against claims of infringement.
- Represented Glenn Beck, Mercury Radio Arts, Inc., and TheBlaze, Inc. in multiple litigations in Texas and Delaware against the companies’ former CEO for violating a restrictive covenant and breaching his fiduciary duty.
- Represented Crown Linen, LLC in a trade secrets, FDUTPA, and tortious interference claim against its former sales director, who started a competing company. Obtained a jury verdict in Crown Linen’s favor.
- Represented a professional sports league in a trademark infringement, false advertising, and unfair competition action in the Southern District of New York, brought by a competing sports league.
- Represented large insurance company in litigation against former employees for stealing trade secrets. Obtained an emergency injunction.
- Represented medical supplies company in litigation and arbitration asserting misappropriation-of-trade-secrets claims against a former business partner.
- Represented electronics company in action brought by a competitor asserting misappropriation of trade secrets.
- Represented large real estate brokerage in litigation against former salespeople for violating restrictive covenant.
- Represented an international security company in non-compete dispute with a competitor.
- Defended healthcare company against claims of trademark infringement.