About Utibe I. Ikpe
Utibe I. Ikpe, an associate with Meland Russin & Budwick, focuses her practice on commercial litigation. Prior to joining the firm, she was an attorney at a boutique commercial litigation firm in Miami.
Utibe has experience representing multinational corporations, insurance companies, banks and other financial institutions, aviation companies, and small businesses in complex litigation disputes. Utibe has litigated high stakes matters, including class actions, FDIC professional liability lawsuits, and commercial contract disputes.
While attending law school at George Washington University, Utibe was a member of the Mock Trial Board and a semi-finalist in the Cohen and Cohen Mock Trial Competition. She also worked as a judicial intern for the Honorable Chief Judge Pratt at the United States District Court for the Southern District of Iowa where she assisted in drafting court orders and opinions in civil and criminal cases.
- J.D., 2009, The George Washington University Law School
- Mock Trial Board
- Cohen and Cohen Mock Trial competition, Semi-finalist (within top four teams)
- B.S., 2005, magna cum laude, Florida State University
- Phi Beta Kappa National Honor Society
- Dean’s List, all semesters
- Member, National Bar Association
- Business Law Section, The Florida Bar
- Author, “The International Criminal Court May Face an African Exodus,” Fla. Bar Int’l L. Q., Winter 2017
- Author, “Nigeria Considers Stricter Anti-terrorism Laws,” Fla. Bar Int’l L. Q., Winter 2017
- Author, “Senegal Invokes Universal Jurisdiction and Prosecutes Former President Hissène Habré of Chad on Behalf of Africa”, Fla. Bar Int’l L. Q., Fall 2016
- Author, Nigerians Outraged as Senate Rejects Gender Equality Bill, Fla. Bar Int’l L. Q., Fall 2016
- Co-author, “Think Before You Plea: Juvenile Collateral Consequences in the United States,” A.B.A., Crim. Just. Sec. (2012)
- Author, “Arizona DREAM Act Coalition Files Suit Against Arizona Officials,” A.B.A., Minority Trial Laws, Division News & Dev. (2012)
- Commonwealth of Virginia
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- Member, Women’s Chamber of Commerce of Miami-Dade County
- Akwa-Ibom Association of Nigeria, USA Inc.
||Obtained dismissal of all claims in pre-litigation negotiations with the FDIC while representing directors and officers of a Florida financial institution that went into receivership.
||Represented aviation company in obtaining the return of over one hundred thousand dollars in a joint venture dispute.
||Represented Miami-Dade County government entity in recouping over four million dollars in a financial dispute.
||Defended directors and officers from multiple Puerto Rican financial institutions in litigation brought by the FDIC for alleged breaches of fiduciary duty regarding governance and the management of over fifty lending transactions.
||Participated in litigation team that obtained a multi-million dollar settlement in class action litigation against one of Florida’s largest health insurance providers.