About Daniel N. Gonzalez
Daniel N. Gonzalez, a partner at Meland Russin & Budwick, focuses his practice on complex commercial litigation, financial restructuring and reorganization, creditors’ rights, bankruptcy litigation, bankruptcy trustee representation, asset sales and purchases in liquidation proceedings, federal and state court receiverships.
Dan also represents purchasers and sellers of real estate, as well as developers. In addition, Dan acts as outside general counsel to high net worth individuals, which duties include advising and handling both litigation and transactional matters for such clients.
As stated in Chambers USA where Dan is listed as an “Up and Comer,” Dan is commended by clients for his client service, proactive approach, and analytical abilities. Chambers sources are quoted as saying that he “has a lot of common sense, makes a lot of good decisions and is an effective negotiator.” He enjoys a growing reputation for his practice in commercial restructuring as well as creditors’ rights and distressed M&A, according to Chambers.
- University of Florida College of Law, J.D., 2002
- Book Award: Federal Courts
- Boston College, B.A., 1999
- Recipient: William Simon Scholarship
- Member, Eleventh Judicial Circuit Grievance Committee “I”
- President, Bankruptcy Bar Association for the Southern District of Florida, 2012-2013
- Miami Chair, Bankruptcy Bar Association for the Southern District of Florida, Pro Bono Committee, 2008-2010
- Member, Cuban American Bar Association
- Co-Chair, University of Miami Bankruptcy Skills Workshop
- Member, Dade County Bar Association
- Member, Hispanic National Bar Association (HNBA)
- Chambers and Partners USA, “Up and Comer” in Bankruptcy/Restructuring, 2015-2016
- Daily Business Review, “40 Under 40” Rising Stars, 2014
- South Florida Legal Guide, Top Up & Comer Lawyer in South Florida, 2008-2009, 2015
- Super Lawyers, Florida Rising Star 2009-2015
- Recipient of the 2008 Put Something Back Pro Bono Service Award for bankruptcy
- Co-author: “The New Bankruptcy Acts impact on Asset Protection Planning,” National Business Institute, Inc., 2005
- Co-author and presenter: “Enforcing Creditors’ Rights After the New Bankruptcy Law in Florida,” Lorman Education Services, Inc., 2006
- Southern District of Florida
- Middle District of Florida
- Clerk for the Honorable Gisela Cardonne-Ely, 11th Judicial Circuit in and for Miami-Dade County, Florida, 2000
- Summer Honors Program, Securities and Exchange Commission (Enforcement Division), 2001
- Moderator – View from the Bench Panel, 2013 University of Miami Bankruptcy Skills Workshop
- Moderator – View from the Bench Panel, 2013 Dade County Bar Association/Put Something Back Bankruptcy Seminar
||Representation of developers in Sarasota, Florida in its sale of 100+ developed lots in a planned development community.
||Representation of family run company in its acquisition of various parcels of land on the Miami River.
|Real Estate, Commercial Litigation, Bankruptcy and Restructuring
||Represented Hyperion Partners in connection with acquisition of loan encumbering the Onyx Condominium project, related litigation and bankruptcy to gain control of project, modification of condominium documents and end sale of balance of acquired condominium units.
||Representation of the assignee, pursuant to Chapter 727 of the Florida Statutes, of a company in the business of distributing recording devices throughout Central and South America.
|Commerical Litigation and Restructuring
||Represented group of guarantors of a $19.6 million credit facility collateralized by real estate, and negotiated a settlement that included a discount payment to release the guarantors and a release of the lender's mortgage lien on the real estate at issue.
||Representation of the principal of a large South Florida based company accused of breach of fiduciary duty and negligence by the company's creditors.
||Vision Development Group, LLC - representation of the developer of a large condominium conversion project and its principal member in connection with litigation and a workout with the senior secured lender, Corus Bank, and various mezzanine lenders.
|Bankruptcy and Restructuring, Commercial Litigation, FInancial Fraud
||Representation of the Chapter 7 Trustee and Michael Budwick served as the receiver appointed by the United States District Court in a $19 million Ponzi scheme case perpetrated by Thomas Abrams. Brought a variety of litigation claims and reached a multi-million dollar settlement of an aiding and abetting claim against Fidelity Federal Bank & Trust, N.A.
||Represented Chapter 7 bankruptcy trustee of All Star Mortgage Financial. The representation included selling real property pursaunt to Section 363 of the Bankruptcy Code, and prosecuting claims against third parties, including claims for the avoidance of transfers, professional malpractice, fraud and breach of fiduciary duty.
||Represent numerous Chapter 7 bankruptcy trustees in corporate and individual Ch. 7 cases. Routinely advise trustees in the connection with the sale of estate assets pursuant to Section 363, prosecution of avoidance claims and prosecution of Section 727 actions.
||Representation of a Chapter 7 bankruptcy trustee of a liquor store. This case required operating the business for a limited period of time while in Chapter 7, and the 363 sale of the liquor license owned by the debtor.
||In re Sundale and Kendall Hotel & Suites - Represented the debtors, who owned a large tract of real estate with an operating hotel, in their Chapter 11 proceedings. The debtors confirmed a Chapter 11 plan of reorganzation.
||Representation of a leading international fruit company in the Chapter 7 bankruptcy case of an individual debtor.
||Representation of a secured creditor in a Chapter 11 bankruptcy case filed in the Southern Ditrict of Florida concerning a tract of land located in Brooklyn, New York. MRB filed and prosecuted a motion to dismiss the Chapter 11 case, which ultimately led to the debtor dismissing its Chapter 11 case.
||Representation of the Chapter 7 bankruptcy trustee in the Chapter 7 bankruptcy filing of a high profile Miami developer. After the filing of a complex lawsuit and the recordation of a lis pendens against numerous properties located in Miami-Dade and Broward counties, the Debtor waived his right to a Chapter 7 discharge and settled certain transfers with the bankruptcy estate for $1.1 million.
- Billionaire, fund manager buy Coconut Grove properties out of bankruptcy November 10, 2017 A company managed by billionaire insurance magnate William R. Berkley and equity fund manager Bruce Berkowitz acquired a collection of properties in Miami’s Coconut Grove at bankruptcy auction for $5.4 million.
- The buyers of six key lots in West Grove aren’t so mysterious after all November 10, 2017 The “mystery” buyers who won six sought after West Coconut Grove lots in U.S. bankruptcy court are not so mysterious after all: They are well known Miami financial figures Bruce Berkowitz and Bill Mahone.
- Bruce Berkowitz and billionaire W.R. Berkley buy Coconut Grove site November 9, 2017 A company led by billionaire William Berkley and Bruce Berkowitz of Fairholme Holdings just picked up pieces of an assemblage in west Coconut Grove.
- Revealed: Buyers of 6 Coconut Grove Properties in Bankruptcy Sale November 8, 2017 The $5.4 million purchase of six lots along Miami’s Grand Avenue is the latest development for a storied stretch that’s been mired in lawsuits, including a bankruptcy filing, and is home to dilapidated buildings and vacant parcels.
- Four Meland Russin & Budwick Attorneys, and Bankruptcy and Restructuring Practice Listed in 2016 Chambers USA Guide June 28, 2016 The 2016 Chambers USA Guide includes four Florida attorneys from law firm Meland Russin & Budwick and also ranks the firm’s Bankruptcy and Restructuring Practice.
- Law grad duo fights financial fraud on ‘American Greed’ April 1, 2015 Meland Russin & Budwick’s Mark S. Meland, Michael S. Budwick, and Daniel N. Gonzalez were featured Thursday on CNBC’s American Greed for their work on behalf of the bankruptcy trustee in the high-profile case of Claudio Osorio and his former company, InnoVida Holdings. Osorio, once at the pinnacle of Miami’s elite business and social scene, ...
- Meland Russin & Budwick Attorneys Featured On CNBC’s American Greed Episode About Ponzi Schemer Claudio Osorio February 27, 2015 Meland Russin & Budwick’s Mark S. Meland, Michael S. Budwick, and Daniel N. Gonzalez were featured Thursday on CNBC’s American Greed for their work on behalf of the bankruptcy trustee in the high-profile case of Claudio Osorio and his former company, InnoVida Holdings. Osorio, once at the pinnacle of Miami’s elite business and social scene, ...
- Daniel N. Gonzalez Honored by the Daily Business Review as a 2014 ’40 Under 40′ Rising Star September 17, 2014 If ever creditors needed a lawyer, it was in the bankruptcy cases of Claudio Osorio and his company, InnoVida Holdings LLC. Osorio rose to the top of Miami’s business community before his swift fall for stealing tens of millions of dollars from investors.
- Mover’s Spotlight January 27, 2014 Daniel N. Gonzalez has been names partner at Meland Russin & Buddwick in Miami.
- MELAND RUSSIN & BUDWICK ELEVATES DANIEL N. GONZALEZ TO PARTNER January 15, 2014 Daniel N. Gonzalez has been elevated to partner at Miami law firm Meland Russin & Budwick, the firm today announced. Previously, Gonzalez was of counsel at Meland Russin & Budwick.
- Meland Russin & Budwick Attorney Daniel N. Gonzalez Named President Of Bankruptcy Bar Association Of The Southern District Of Florida September 5, 2013 Daniel N. Gonzalez, of counsel to Miami law firm Meland Russin & Budwick, has been elected president of the Bankruptcy Bar Association of the Southern District of Florida.